Sunday, February 13, 2011

Saint Valentine

Father Len tells the story better, but this is what I could remember:

Saint Valentine was a catholic/christian around 200 BC. He was arrested for being one. Now Valentine was an educated man and his jailer recognizing that asked Valentine to help teach his daughter Julia, who was blind.

Valentine not only helped Julia with her education, but he taught her about God and Jesus. Julia asked Valentine to pray to God and restore her eyesight. Valentine prayed and Julia received her miracle.

Saint Valentine was beheaded. His Jailer, Julia and their family converted to christianity. Julia buried Saint Valentine and planted an almond tree in his honor.

She wrote "Remember my Valentine, for he opened my eyes to love."

The colors for Saint Valentine's Day are red, for the blood he shed and pink for the almond tree flower blossom.


You are my Valentine, my dear friends and family, for you have opened my eyes to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment